Stores > Direct Gardening / House of Wesley

Product & services pricing Rating 5.00/10 5.00/10
    Chance of future purchase: Rating 2.00/10 2.00/10
    Shipping & packaging: Rating 3.00/10 3.00/10
    Customer service: Rating 2.00/10 2.00/10
Voice your opinion! Review Direct Gardening / House of Wesley by clicking a star below.
2017-08-07

Dont buy from them

"Never trust a company without their own reviews page on their website
Doesnt even deserve 1 star.
Avoid ordering from this company. Poor customer service doesnt even begin to describe it. They ship thier products in plastic bags. Sometimes jammed full of plants. They do not send shipping notifications, so my plants were sitting outside in a cold package delivery box in March in Wisconsin for who knows how long before I discovered them. I was expecting this order for spring planting, but there was still snow on the ground here when they shipped. Also they shipped from Illinois, so I know they are aware of the northern weather. Needless to say, nothing grew after I had to keep them inside under grow lights for a month before I could plant them. I had ordered online, but they insist on conducting returns or exchanges by regular mail.
Then they mailed back my return request asking for which plants died, when I specifically told them NONE of the order survived. And I had to mail everything back again, with my replacement items attached. They mailed me a gift certificate and asked that I tell them what Items I wanted them to replace it with. So I had to mail the whole thing back Again!
When I finally got my replacement plants, all the "live" plants they shipped me were clearly already dead before shipping, and they insist I wait 6 weeks to get more replacements. I even emailed photos of the obviously dead plants. It is August and my original order arrived in March, so that is how long it takes to be thoroughly screwed by this company.
F this company for sure.

2017-07-06

Pulled a switch-er-roo.

"Among other things, I ordered six standard-sized Moorpark apricot trees.

Received the other items, but didn't get the standard-sized Moorpark apricot trees. They sent me peach trees instead.

I contacted them immediately and they said I had to return the peach trees at my expense in order to receive a refund or replacement. I told them I'd return the trees as soon as I received a pre-paid mailer. I was not going to pay to return something I didn't order.

Went round and round with this company. They kept referencing their "guarantee" which ONLY comes into play if the items shipped do not live -- their guarantee states this clearly, explicitly, and emphatically. That was clearly NOT the case. Although the peach trees eventually died because they were never planted, that was not the problem. I order standard-sized Moorpark apricot trees and they shipped peach trees.

After several email rounds and two smail rounds, I was finally home from work early enough to call them during their extremely limited customer service phone hours. During this phone call, they repeatedly referenced their guarantee -- I repeatedly read their guarantee to them over the phone, including the part that says, without any equivocation, that the guarantee only applies if the items do not live. After considerable time on the phone, they finally mentioned their substitution policy. Apparently, the notice of their substitution policy is buried someplace on their website. It says, essentially, that they reserve the right to make substitutions. However, there is no mention of this policy anywhere in the ordering process. They certainly do not required that you agree to it before placing your order.

I'll draft a letter demanding a complete refund of my entire order as soon as I finish this review. The other items I purchased were inferior in both size and quality. I was willing to overlook this defect as long as there was some hope of receiving the standard-sized Moorpark apricot trees I ordered. However, because of the truly horrid experience I've had with this company, I'm no longer willing to accept the inferior products. I'm convinced that Direct Gardening buys the leftovers from plant wholesalers that other retailers do not want. The "free" gifts they include with nearly every order are so bad that even Direct Gardening wouldn't think of selling them -- which is really saying something.

2017-06-19

Dead Sticks,No Bush. Jokes on me!

"I ordered 4 butterfly bushes on April 29th and 3 arrived May 20th. If you could call it that. A green plastic bag with 3 bags of dirt and a few broken dead sticks in it. THE PLANTS WERE DEAD! I planted them anyway as per their instructions..there's nothing left but the root.The sticks fell off dead. I received the one they shorted me on 6/16/2017. Worse condition if there is such a thing. The sticks (2) were in the bottom of the green bag. The clear plastic bag had a small amount of dry dirt and a dead root.
I'm just going to cut my losses here. I can't understand how they stay in business! Read on if you want to read their reply.

"(Thank you for your correspondence regarding the plants you received from us. You stated that some of your plants appear "dead" or have not yet started to bud and leaf-out. Much of our nursery stock is shipped in a dormant, bare root condition or in starter pots that require transplanting. Also, your plants may be stressed by shipment. Therefore, the plants may look "dead," be droopy upon arrival, have lost leaves in shipment, or may leaf-out later than an established plant.

If you have not already done so, please plant all plants immediately following the instructions in our planting booklet. Water regularly. Give them a chance. In nearly every instance the plants will grow and thrive.

If after six weeks of planting, your plants do not leaf out or if you are certain they are not alive,we are willing to make a single exception of our original shipping label requirement and send a replacement order if you will mail us a COPY OF YOU CANCELLED CHECK or CHARGE CARD STATEMENT as proof of payment. You will need to send this information via mail. Please include a letter that states you no longer have the shipping label and are therefore sending the proof of payment in its place. Also include a full list, by item and quantity, of what item(s) need to be replaced.

This is a single exception and applies only to nursery stock and not replacement orders.
The information on the missing plant has been forwarded.

2017-06-01

If only the plants were alive....

"This company has terrible reviews and I wish I would have read them. I ordered some plants that took over a month to be delivered. When they arrived half of them were dead. I contacted the company and they want ME to pay for return shipping. Yet they were the ones to ship dead plants. It seems that it is quite common for them to do this.

DO NOT SHOP THERE!

I did a scratch test and you can see they are completely dead. So now I am out of my money

2017-05-27

Crap

" Ordered three trees and see Chris the trees were shipped in a plastic bag and have snapped in half the cigarettes is brown and dead spent over $50 for these products and it is an absolute ripoff"

2017-05-20

Scam and fraud

"Sent 30 emails to cancel and refused and sent anyway with dead plants no answer on phone or email had to return at my expense had to wait a month until it arrived to me. Don't buy from them a rip off and false advertising "

2017-05-07

It Doesn't Get Any Worse Than Thiss

"My experience was absolute horrible. First I had to pay the original shipping costs, they then selected and sent me the wrong plants. In order to get a refund I had to pay again for shipping the wrong plants they sent me back to them. Then with no explanation whatsoever, they refunded only half the money. You never get to talk to anyone directly affiliated with the company, you only reach a call center where I have gotten several different answers to the same questions I've asked of them. 3 people with 3 different answers??"

2017-05-02

Would rate a zero!

"Ordered 16 plants in March. Not shipped till the end of April. I had to send them an email to remind them to ship my order. 5 arrived dead; one covered in mold. Plants that were supposed to be 6-12" were more like 3". Nine days after having these plants, I contacted Direct Gardening for a return/refund. They said after 14 days, they don't issue credit! It wasn't 14 days! VERY disreputable company. Would rate a zero if given the option. Would not order weeds from this company."

2017-03-27

Horrible company

"Horrible company to do business with. I placed an order on 12/13/2016 and as of today have not received it yet (3/27/2017). I have contacted them several times and they cannot tell me when order will ship. I contacted them today requesting a refund. I will not do business with them again

2016-05-14

Bad product/bad shipping times/bad customer service/bad return policy

"I have not begun to fight to get my money back on these pathetic things they call plants. These big beautiful pictures and when you open up the box to yellow plants all on the verge of death; that it took a month to get; the let down is extreme. They want to replace them but who would want to go through the hassle to baby these itty bitty plants enough to get them to live let alone blossom. They violated their entire policy by telling me the order would be processed in two weeks and I got them a month later. There was no correspondence telling me they even got my order or any answer to my complaints for almost a week and then only because I disputed the charge on my credit card. I want a refund not replacement plants. Way too expensive for what you get even if they had lived."

2016-04-06

BAD CUSTOMER SERVICE

"On one website you have 420 Negative reviews only 156 positive 50 neutrals. That is BAD CUSTOMER SERVICE. I did as was told by waiting and planting only to have them ALL DIE. My MONEY DOWN THE DRAIN !!!! The 2 4.99 were used on new orders for things that arrived CRUSHED. The other plants just DIED after I planted as told. There is something you can do, supply LIVE plants in GOOD condition. The original plants did not appear alive when I received them, but I did as told and waited then the replacements arrived in poor/dead condition and again as i was told planted, now you tell me "We are sorry for the inconvenience. " Not inconvenience it was/is a waste of MY MONEY, so yes you could at least send me LIVE plants in GOOD condition, but you just DO NOT want to. ALMOST $200.00 GONE. "

2016-02-04

Ripp off company, and they are good at it.

"Just don't is all I can say. Half the order was never received. The other half was destroyed in shipment since all they use is a plastic bag. No response from customer service until I have a lawyer contact them for me. Wasted my money. DO NOT USE DIRECT GARDENING!"

2015-11-10

"real crooks they will send u dead plants then will put such difficult return requirements that u cant return anything also will not cancel your order even if it hasnt shipped "

2015-10-29

"Horrible company. Ordered 5 - 3 to 4 foot Quaking Aspens and was sent 5 - 12" to 22" Pink Dogwoods. Immediately sent customer service an email stating I wanted a full refund but instead of doing the right thing and processing the refund like any good online merchant would do they tell me I need to mail the shipping label along with a written request for a refund. I emailed a picture of the shipping label along with my request for a refund but they insist that I need to mail it in. They can charge your credit card online but they can't credit it online. Won't be surprised if it gets "lost" in the mail. Like everyone else is saying I wish I had listened to all the negative reviews that are out there and never placed the order. "

2015-10-23

"I placed an order in the begining of April and didn't get it until June!! And everything was dry or dead. Also recieved the wrong rose in the order but was told it was right that I needed to change the soil to acid. Did that and after 4 weeks still the same color rose not the color I ordered. I sent in for replacements on the order for dead plants and wrong rose and I recieved them much quicker but they were all died up again with all the leafs dead and fallen off in the shipper. I order from online nurseries all the time and this has been the worst experience of my life."

Share Direct Gardening / House of Wesley's store rating

Direct Gardening / House of Wesley is not a merchant member. If you're this merchant, learn more!

Direct Gardening / House of Wesley is not a merchant member
Direct Gardening / House of Wesley does NOT participate at ResellerRatings to monitor feedback and resolve your issues. Are you this merchant? Learn more about the Merchant Member Program!