Stores > RentalCars.com
  • RentalCars.com

Product & services pricing Rating 0.63/10 0.63/10
    Customer service: Rating 0.28/10 0.28/10
    Return/Replacement policy: Rating 0.31/10 0.31/10
Voice your opinion! Review RentalCars.com by clicking a star below.
2017-06-23

Attempted blackmail by Rentalcar.com

"Three hours before we were due to pick up our four-day rental car, we were phoned to tell us that we had to pay an additional €45 to drop off at a different location from the pick up. As I had specified the pick up and drop off points when confirming the booking, I chose not to pay the extra. Rental cars.com have seriously messed up our holiday plans. I regard this sort of late additional charge as a type of blackmail whereby the renter has no choice but to pay. Well, we have a choice and we choose not to use rentalcars.com again."

2017-06-21

How is This Legal???

"Hidden fees, pushy sales people at Hertz, who kept trying to push even more fees on me, and a purposely confusing rental agreement. When I signed for the additional fees I thought the total INCLUDED the payment I already made. I paid $288 and was charged an additional $479 - So after booking online for 288 I ended up paying $767.00 - How is this Legal"

2017-06-14

Rentalcars.com is a fraudulent rip-off

"Rentalcars.com is a company you have to be very very careful in dealing with. Here's something to watch out for. What will happen if you book a car rental through rentalcars.com with a rental company for say one week. And then, due to unavoidable circumstances, like the British Airways recent meltdown at LHR, you can't travel to pick up your rental? You will find the charge for the full weeks rental has been put on your credit card! And in my case that full week's rental was charged twice on the same day! Not a company I will do business with again! Far better to deal directly with the car rental company itself. You'll get a fair deal."

2017-06-14

They make you prepay then do not refund the difference if the car you get is less expensive!

"The rental car company was fine but Rentalcars.com was terrible! I was required to pay in advance at for a full-sized vehicle, but when I arrived late from my flight the rental car company only had economy cars left which were 35% cheaper. I wrote to Rentalcars.com with a copy of the final bill and they refused to refund the difference! DO NOT USE THEM! I WILL AVOID THIS COMPANY AT ALL COSTS IN THE FUTURE! Very dishonest company that will rip you off given half the chance!"

2017-06-12

DON'T BOOK!!!!!! Cheating company.

"It's a cheating company. Whatever you book with that car, they will cancel it after you've started your trip. And request for much higher price for the same type of car. It makes your journey very unpleasant because of the late notice. Even they offer discount to compensate, it was way higher than the budget, still. (We think it's their strategy, as in what you have booked in the first place doesn't even exist)

Their customer service was very rude too. don't waste your time and money calling them.

THEY ARE CHEATERS. Don't book.

2017-05-30

U drive Portugal

"The worst experience we have ever had. We booked a car for 90 euro ended up paying 200. Waited for over 2 hrs to get the car and when we handed it back they were rude and the most unprofessional service ever experienced. Also they are located very, very far from the airport. "

2017-05-15

Only problems,

"I am still waiting to get my money refund 1 month after correctly cancelling my free-cancellation reservation, and they have no intentiom tonreturn mu money back. They are cheating on my every time I call to customer service"

2017-05-06

Change booking without making customer aware.

"Had a long conversation with the contact centre manager. Booked a car weeks ago and was suitable size for passengers as we are all tall. The booking had been changed to a vehicle that was much smaller. I had by chance called the contact centre the day before and guess what. They could not amend the booking. After being on the phone for almost an hour, listening to apology after apology, the suggestion was to cancel the booking and book with somebody. You can guess my response which had outlined the fact that any booking even a tiny moped would be more expensive than the booking that I had done ages ago. The contact manager then suggested that I book externally and pay the premium price quoted for a BMW that I had originally booked, then pursue a complaint seeking compensation for the value of the rental. The contact manager had said this was not guaranteed. Enlightened with the options that were presented I suggested as they admitted they were at fault that they should pay the difference on vehicles that are still advertised on their search results. Im sure you can see the manager was trying to be extremely helpful with the response "are you willing to pay the difference?" That pretty much sums up the customer service. Rentalcars are cheap but you get what you pay for. A completely botched up booking which they make you pay an absurd rate for due to their incompetence. Looking at the rest of the reviews I wish I was unique, but alas Im just another number.
Spent an hour on the telephone and requested the contact centre manager to listen to the original booking conversation (as all calls are recorded for quality and training purposes) Unfortunately I get a call back 10 minutes later advising myself that they can not access the call. This was on a Saturday evening before the morning of my flight. Cavalier attitude as they gave me the impression that their social life comes before the customer.
The customer service is borderline comical with their incompetence.
Like I said cheap, however you get what you pay for. Wish there was someway I got paid for wasting my time booking and time spent to amend to no avail.

2017-05-05

Company based in the UK - beware of insanely inflated additional fees when you try to pick up your car from the Dollar counter

"I booked a car for 15 days with my Priceline flight through their sister company RentalCars.com. I paid $297.18 in advance for a small car to be picked up at Frankfurt Airport, Germany, on April 10, 2017, at the Dollar counter. The car was there, but they wanted another $175 for a navigator and about $350 for insurance for 15 days. I declined, because this is insanely overpriced compared with local rental car companies. I called RentalCars.com and was told that I will get a refund minus $59 cancellation fee. Now, on May 5, 2017, I still haven't received the refund. I called RentalCars.com, and they didn't have the request for a refund in their system. The lady on the phone told me that she would start the refund process again, and perhaps in 2 weeks, it would go back to my credit card. Let's see, I'm in doubt that this will happen.
My advice to American users: Do not book a rental car in Europe in advance, go to a local business once you arrive and pay a lot less.

2017-03-30

SCAM

"I tried to rent a car on special offer. With hidden costs, it went from 70GBP to over 200GBP. Its a SCAM. There full cover insurance is not full cover, relevant or as advertised.It was a SCAM. I was promised a refund 40 days ago. I emailed - no response, I called - line was always cut. The only answer I got was as follows on livechat:

"I apologise for if you haven't heard anything from us yet, I can still confirm you will receive a full refund very shortly for your reservation"

Still waiting.....

Scam scam scam

2017-03-10

a skoda is not a bmw

"they announce BMW or alike. You get a very basic Skoda (registered in a low-wage country, not even officially in Germany, where I rented the car). First they tell you it is a top model, yet when you go see the car (after you signed off), they did acknowledge it was a too poor a car. The counter desk operator did not hesitate to cancel the hire, but rentalcars dot com does not want to give in and steels the money. The car did not move. Do NOT hire a car here."

2017-01-07

Beware USA and Canada users , rental cars will rip you off

"If you book from Canada and the USA Rentalcars.com will rip you off, here's how:
1. They will omit to include insurance for Collision Damage Waver and Theft protection . These are MANDATORY and if you pay at the desk they will charge you up to 4X the cost of the rental. If you book on the UK website the cost for insurance is automatically included.

2. If booking from the USA and Canada they will omit to include "premium location charges" This is because UK clients will refuse to pay them but foreigners are less likely to complain. Beware ..book by calling or through the UK website and insist that there is no "Premium Locations included"

3. Local taxes ..UK website does not include any Admin fee costs , but they land unsuspecting foreigners with this tax. Again make sure you book on the phone and inist on no admin charges or book through the UK site online and check the small print

2016-12-23

Never been cheated like this!

"Nowhere did they mention winter tires would cost this much and are mandatory to rent.
During my booking I saw free cancellation. But when I tried to cancel, I was shown a cancellation fee which is around 40% of the rent.
The price for renting a child seat is nothing but a rip-off.
If you don't want any of these happen to you, walk away and choose a legit car rental site.

2016-12-19

NO LO USES!!

"El servicio horrible. Los dos agentes bastantes desagradables y bordes. El seguro no queda nada claro y debes tu adelantar la cuantia aunque sea minimo el daño, para despues reclamarlo a la compañia. La oficina de marrakech es un antro de mala muerte que no tiene ni timbre y te hacen esperar lo que les da la gana. Si quieres un viaje agradable usa otra empres"

2016-09-19

Do Not Rent a car with Rental cars. Com

"DO NOT RENT WITH rental cars.com
I am a frequent traveller and I rent cars all the time in all parts of the world.I never had a problem with a rental.
I order and paid for a premium class car ( BMW 3, Mercedes-Benz C class or similar). I got Ford Kuga ( Ford escape). Definitely it is not premium class car and you can not compare to BMW or Mercedes-Benz.
Moreover, the rental car was dirty (excessive sand, dirt, mud, trash and pet hair). It was very stressful situation and it ruined my road trip plans. I will not use rentalcars.com anymore!!!!

Share RentalCars.com's store rating

RentalCars.com is not a merchant member. If you're this merchant, learn more!

RentalCars.com is not a merchant member
RentalCars.com does NOT participate at ResellerRatings to monitor feedback and resolve your issues. Are you this merchant? Learn more about the Merchant Member Program!