Stores > RentalCars.com
  • RentalCars.com

Product & services pricing Rating 1.50/10 1.50/10
    Customer service: Rating 0.50/10 0.50/10
    Return/Replacement policy: Rating 0.50/10 0.50/10
Voice your opinion! Review RentalCars.com by clicking a star below.
2017-03-10

a skoda is not a bmw

"they announce BMW or alike. You get a very basic Skoda (registered in a low-wage country, not even officially in Germany, where I rented the car). First they tell you it is a top model, yet when you go see the car (after you signed off), they did acknowledge it was a too poor a car. The counter desk operator did not hesitate to cancel the hire, but rentalcars dot com does not want to give in and steels the money. The car did not move. Do NOT hire a car here."

This review was modified by carrentalsarethieves on March 10 2017 04:00:09 PM

2017-01-07

Beware USA and Canada users , rental cars will rip you off

"If you book from Canada and the USA Rentalcars.com will rip you off, here's how:
1. They will omit to include insurance for Collision Damage Waver and Theft protection . These are MANDATORY and if you pay at the desk they will charge you up to 4X the cost of the rental. If you book on the UK website the cost for insurance is automatically included.

2. If booking from the USA and Canada they will omit to include "premium location charges" This is because UK clients will refuse to pay them but foreigners are less likely to complain. Beware ..book by calling or through the UK website and insist that there is no "Premium Locations included"

3. Local taxes ..UK website does not include any Admin fee costs , but they land unsuspecting foreigners with this tax. Again make sure you book on the phone and inist on no admin charges or book through the UK site online and check the small print

This review was modified by elizabethpublicover on March 10 2017 03:51:49 PM

2016-12-23

Never been cheated like this!

"Nowhere did they mention winter tires would cost this much and are mandatory to rent.
During my booking I saw free cancellation. But when I tried to cancel, I was shown a cancellation fee which is around 40% of the rent.
The price for renting a child seat is nothing but a rip-off.
If you don't want any of these happen to you, walk away and choose a legit car rental site.

This review was modified by zhaohanbo on March 10 2017 03:50:52 PM

2016-12-19

NO LO USES!!

"El servicio horrible. Los dos agentes bastantes desagradables y bordes. El seguro no queda nada claro y debes tu adelantar la cuantia aunque sea minimo el daño, para despues reclamarlo a la compañia. La oficina de marrakech es un antro de mala muerte que no tiene ni timbre y te hacen esperar lo que les da la gana. Si quieres un viaje agradable usa otra empres"

This review was modified by anahernandez1012 on March 10 2017 03:51:56 PM

2016-09-19

Do Not Rent a car with Rental cars. Com

"DO NOT RENT WITH rental cars.com
I am a frequent traveller and I rent cars all the time in all parts of the world.I never had a problem with a rental.
I order and paid for a premium class car ( BMW 3, Mercedes-Benz C class or similar). I got Ford Kuga ( Ford escape). Definitely it is not premium class car and you can not compare to BMW or Mercedes-Benz.
Moreover, the rental car was dirty (excessive sand, dirt, mud, trash and pet hair). It was very stressful situation and it ruined my road trip plans. I will not use rentalcars.com anymore!!!!

This review was modified by Sylwia5277 on March 10 2017 03:51:03 PM

2016-08-12

WORST RENTAL SERVICE EVER $250 cleaing FEE?! OUTRAGEOUS!!

"***RENTERS BEWARE***
WORST SERVICE EVER.
I WILL NEVER RENT FROM THEM AGAIN.
I recommend reading the reviews from yelp and Google before renting which I failed to do!!!

I recently rented from Avis and after I returned the car, I got a letter A WEEK later stating that I was going to be charged for a $250 cleaning fee. THAT IS OUTRAGEOUS!! They claimed to have found "pet hair soilage" in the car. I called to dispute this because I DID NOT have any animals in the car. I asked them to send pictures and I still have yet to see them. They refused to lower the fee whatsoever. What I think happened was there was "pet hair" from the previous renter that they failed to notice when the car was inspected. I was charged a $250 "cleaning fee" weeks after I returned the vehicle that I am not even at fault for. They are constantly ripping people off. 870 BAD REVIEWS on GOOGLE. WHAT A SCAM!!!

This review was modified by trinamelton89 on March 10 2017 03:51:26 PM

2016-08-03

Pay high get less..

"Yes, that is their motto, I have reserved online a certain category or equivalent, then when I went to pickup the vehicle, I received something much less, and I had to pay the same rate of the category I reserved for a much smaller vehicle, and the car rental company, ACE, are also dishonest like them, they did not care.
In addition, I purchased collision insurance and turned to be higher than the one offered by the car rental company, whom assured me that I can cancel the initial one. But when I tried, there was no way whatsoever to get hold on them via phone, and there is no e-mail address. THEY HAVE NO CUSTOMER SERVICE DEPT OR NUMBER OR EMAIL.

By all means it is the worst experience for renting a car ever.

This review was modified by Emadbarsoum on March 10 2017 03:51:11 PM

2016-05-28

Charging your card right away, in wrong currency

"Booked the car for 1329USD, nowhere I selected or was warned that it is prepaid. Got charged right away in British pounds, which came up to 1586USD on my card. Scam, don't use them!"

This review was modified by negrusti-th on March 10 2017 03:51:32 PM

2016-02-29

Beware Road Tax not included!

"Although I had a receipt showing I had Fully PrePaid On pick up I was charged Road Tax at twice UK Cost (plus VAT!!) an equivalent rate of over £600 Per Annum. This was not included in the upfront quoted price; it was in the small print. I have since contacted Rentalcars online and by email. They simply fail to answer my questions. They have so far failed to advise me of their complaints procedure, despite me asking twice. So beware when comparing costs with other hire car companies in the UK - add a further £1.40 plus VAT per day (around £12 per week) for a true comparison."

This review was modified by TrevorDavis on March 10 2017 03:52:11 PM

2016-01-17

beware the hidden costs

"Rented a car in New zealand. pre paid all the costs involved. When I picked up the car I was hit with local charges ( pick up car/ return to different location) After the trip I filled in a customer survey that was sent to me and pointed out my situation. Rentalcars.com pointed out that I had ticked the terms and condition box and that these were normal charges.... Well Thank you very much. not only did THEY KNOW that I would her charged an extra amount, but they hid these costs in their terms and conditions and made no attempt to CLEARLY warm me about them . Hence making their price look cheaper. Thank you customer service for pointing out that I am stupid for not reading the terms and conditions. That makes me really want to use you again ... (no return business from me)"

This review was modified by deanaustralia on March 10 2017 03:51:43 PM

2015-12-13

"I paid over $200 to hire a car with insurance at Rentalcars.com. I got to the car hire (east coast rentals) Adelaide with a prepaid voucher only to find out that east coast rentals did not receive there money from Rentalcars.com. Spending close to an hour to sort out the problem I had to pay for another contract as I couldn't leave without a car until I paid. When I got home I had to send all the paperwork to Rentalcar.com hoping to get a full refund but to my absolute disgust I only received $93.00 out of $223. Because of there poor admin skills I'm left out of pocket $127.00. Please be very careful I'm sure there are better companies to go through."

This review was modified by jannene on March 10 2017 03:51:27 PM

2015-11-13

"I reserved and prepaid for a car on rentalcars.com for a business trip to Austin, Texas. A few days before my arrival, the airports control tower got flooded by a once in 500 year rain event. The entire airports radar equipment was under water. Thus, 90% of all flights in and out of the airport were cancelled or delayed.
As an international traveler, my phone was not able to make phone calls. I am not sure why but rentalcars.com only gives you a number in England meaning a horrendously expensive call. Nevertheless, I tried to call, only to be told my phone was not able to complete the call. I arrived at the Alamo rental counter around 1am. About 5.5 hours after my scheduled arrival time. It was closed. Other counters had remained open due to the extenuating circumstances but Alamo decided to strand their customers. My flight information was on the reservation so they could have very easily checked to see that my flight was cancelled. They chose to provide no service.
Upon returning home, I asked rentalcars.com for a refund since their supplier chose to close their counter. I was asked many questions essentially trying to place the blame on me and in the end told that I would not receive a refund because I did not show up on time and that I broke the agreement.
In an industry where delays are quite common this is a horrendous abuse of power and one that I will not take lying down. When I am done posting in social media and blasting them on every rating site I can find, I will contact the consumer protection groups of England, the US and Sweden where I live.
If you too have had a bad experience, you must rate them on Trustpilot. That is the only place the reference on their website as being a reliable supplier. The fact is that on all other sites I look at, they barely average more than 1 out of 5 stars.
Fight back and do not let these thieves get away with it!

This review was modified by disgruntled492 on March 10 2017 03:52:33 PM

2015-09-22

"Are you familiar with those Terms&Conditions used against consumers when needed? Here is how #Rentcars does it: IF YOUR DROP OFF LOCATION IS DIFFERENT FROM PICK UP, YOU HAVE EXTRA CHARGES FOR +GBP 140,00...YES, MOST LIKELY YOU WILL FIND OUT ONLY AT THE AIRPORT, AS IT'S VERY DIFFICULT TO FIND IT OUT ON THE WEBSITE. No need to check any box to accept T&C, you just need to hit on CONFIRM BOOKING!! And there is more: when you call the customer support you express your frustration with a representative and this person recommends you to open a ticket and hope for a refund "because you are not the only one who flagged this". Afterwards, you receive an email which doesn't mention anything about your concerns, so you decide to call back and guess what: another representative will argue with you that the information is actually on the website and it easy to access! What can I say? Great example of customer experience failure!"

This review was modified by mauro_iannacone on March 10 2017 03:51:56 PM

2015-06-29

"KNOW THIS - rentalcars.com could'nt care less about you once they have your money!
I hired a car through them to pick up in Rome. I was delayed collecting it and went the following morning to find the rental company shut for a bank holiday. Rental cars were no help at the time and when I returned home (having hired a wreck from a local hire company) they refused to discuss any refund claiming that they had paid the hiring company. They hadn't, I got a letter from Avis to confirm this!
My advice, don't touch them!

This review was modified by RichardWagon on March 10 2017 03:51:59 PM

2015-06-18

"Warning!

Be aware that the company will allow you to make a booking using a debit card although this is not an accepted form of payment by most car rental companies. This issues is not made clear or explicit at time of booking, although a small link at the bottom a page crammed with information will direct you to hard to navigate terms and conditions.

After I made the booking, the notification I received from company that was supposed to provide the car informed me that I had paid for something that could not be purchased using a debit card. I immediately called rentalcar.com to see whether the booking could be cancelled. For this I was charged a fee of €50!

I called to complain for what clearly appears as a way to rip off money from people booking with a debit card.

Do not use this company. Make your bookings directly through the cars providers.

This review was modified by leo_dolan1 on March 10 2017 03:52:38 PM

Share RentalCars.com's store rating

RentalCars.com is not a merchant member. If you're this merchant, learn more!

RentalCars.com is not a merchant member
RentalCars.com does NOT participate at ResellerRatings to monitor feedback and resolve your issues. Are you this merchant? Learn more about the Merchant Member Program!