Stores > ThredUP

Chance of future purchase: Rating 1.00/10 1.00/10
    Shipping & packaging: Rating 2.07/10 2.07/10
    Customer service: Rating 1.46/10 1.46/10
    Return/Replacement policy: Rating 0.88/10 0.88/10
Voice your opinion! Review ThredUP by clicking a star below.
2017-05-02

Just Sent in my 2nd and FINAL Bag of Clothing to Thread Up... Never Again

"I will start by saying that I have had mostly positive experiences when buying from Thread Up. I got most of my maternity clothing from the site, and when I had to return an item that didn't fit, the return was seamless. I will continue to shop their site.

I will NOT send in any more of my items. I sent my first bag and it was processed in under 2 weeks, I made about $8 for an entire bag stuffed full of women's and children's clothing, and I was content with that. I was not charged the $9.99 fee because it was my first bag. I understand that TU is a business and their goal is to make money, and again, I was happy with my $8 credit even though I could have gotten a lot more money listing my own items on eBay. To me it was worth the convenience.

The 2nd bag that I sent was a whole different story. I held back on some of my nicer things to see how the first bag went. Now they had my trust, so I sent in another bag full of my nicest, newest items, some still with tags. Again, the large bag was packed full. This time, it took about 6 weeks for them to process my bag, I got the same $8, but this time I was charged the $9.99 processing fee. So I got to send TU a bag of free inventory and then waited 6 weeks to find out that I made absolutely nothing for my efforts.

I would have been happy with the $8, I wasn't expecting to get rich, but it's a little insulting to send a huge bag of clothing, see what they sell it for, and know that you benefit absolutely nothing for your time and trouble.

I will be exploring other options in the future. If I'm not going to gain anything from my clothing, I would much rather donate to a friend or even a non-profit. I'd rather post free things on Facebook to help individuals, rather than to help a company succeed.

2017-05-02

Nauseating

"If I could I would have given no stars. Here is my email to the website to explain my experience in a nutshell.

You are false advertising for sellers for this company. I have sent you a 20 pound bag of clothes, shoes, and pocketbooks. You only "accepted" about 15 items. With that decided on your own to "recycle" the rest of my belongings when I could have made a lot more money off poshmark with them. Which I will plan on doing for the rest of my cloths I'd choose to pass on, and will suggest to others as well. So with those 15 "up to par" items you "accepted" of mine I received 6 DOLLARS. SIX. That is not even a dollar an item! And you claim on your website we receive 20% for what you sell them for. I call bullshit! Because almost all of those items are on sale for 15$+!!! While poshmark let's you keep your earnings and only takes 20% of what we make. The exact OPPOSITE of what you do. The fact you can take from people deceivingly and feel okay to build your business that way, is absolutely NAUSEATING. And I'm not saying that just for myself and my only received 6 dollars. But if I had know I was going to only receive 6 dollars, I would have MUCH rather give them to salvation arm for those in need for FREE.

2017-05-01

Yep. Scam

"Don't do it. They take your clothes and scam you. I sent a bag of amazing clothing. If I had sold the items on Ebay, I would have made well over $100. But, I got lazy and got scammed. They gave me $.75 cents for a fabulous Free People dress. Horrible. "

2017-04-27

Not even worth the one star

"If I could give 0 stars I would. Total rip off, basically they take your clothes, tell you they are worth nothing then resell them and they pocket the money. Don't believe their schpeal that they donate to "garment recyclers" or whatever. You are SO much better off with the likes of Poshmark or similar businesses that let you sell directly to others as opposed to being a very shady middle man. "

2017-04-27

rip off

"I have shopped thred up for a year or so and absolutely loved it. Then i decided to order a clean out bag the idea was great and so simple they send the bag you stuff it and send it back. Easy peesy..right. Well as everyone here have said it takes about 2 mths to get your bag processed then you get to see what they decide to accept. They accepted 19 items of my overstuffed bag these were all new or very gently used items coming from 2 teens closets and we all know teens they buy and never wear half of it. Out of the 19 items thred up gave me 12.96 took back 9.99 for the shipping. Thred up priced all of them at 10 or more except for one dress they consigned at 3.00 payout it is listed for 25.99. You can see the scam. The CEO of this company had a great idea and they are making a killing. Good for them. Not good for the seller. Sell on other sites not thred up or just donate to a shelter. "

2017-04-25

Scam

"Ridiculous all around! Placed an order a week ago and still no shipment! of course they took my money out of the account right away! been thing to get in touch with them, but no answer whatsoever! This website is a scam! Do NOT trust them!!!!"

2017-04-24

THIS COMPANY IS A TOTAL SCAM FOR SELLERS - DO NOT SELL TO THEM

"I have sent three bags to thredUp and have been completely ripped off every time. I just received $11 for approximately $500 worth of designer goods, many brand new and some with tags. I always get the items they reject returned to me (for $11.99 I believe, plus the $10 fee for the initial bag itself.) The reason I have the rejected items returned is because the first time I didn't, they told me they were donated to charity, and I later found several for sale on their site. Who knows how many of them they did this with. I take the rejected goods to charity and get a tax receipt for their actual worth. Much better than giving your clothes to an unscrupulous company.
People who love to buy used clothes generally appear to like thredUp. If that's their thing, God bless them. They are paying too much. thredUp tries to get you to use your earnings to buy from them. They withhold your payment for 14 days after they process your bag, which takes over two months. This is in the hope that you completely forget to redeem your meager earnings (my $11). Probably lots of people do.
WARNING - if you are buying, they completely misrepresent labels. Most of the items they have listed in their section designated Nordstrom are Macy's or lower level store brands. If you know your brands, this is so easy to spot it is laughable. Maybe 2 out of 10 items are really from Nordstrom.
And the prices they pay you?!!! $2 for a brand new unworn pair of designer shoes. Give me a break!!!
I truly feel this company should be investigated by whatever agency does this type of thing. They are probably making millions from their ripoff of hundreds of thousands of sellers who expected more than a spit in the face.

2017-04-21

Should have saved my time and donated it all...

"A bag stuffed to the brim with designer clothes and I made $1.88 after shipping fees. I'm sorry but that math just does not add up. Everybody needs to spread the word that this place is a scam and it needs to be shut down. I will be forever donating my NWT clothes from here on out and feeling a whole lot better about it. Something is wrong here. Very wrong. "

2017-04-21

Rip Off

"Yep, what everyone else said...complete and total rip-off. They took brand new designer items with tags from Anne Klein, Ben Sherman, and MNG and gave me a few bucks in return. I sent in a NWT (new with tags) Anne Klein suit and they are only selling the pants. Why would you break up a brand new suit? The jacket was beautiful with zero damage and now it's going to be recycled to make fabric? They claim only 8 out of 14 items are going to be resold but all were in excellent condition and from brand names. I would rather my items have gone to Goodwill or I could have sold on eBay. Never again."

2017-04-20

I got ripped off

"I stuffed my Polka Dot bag full of name brand clothing (a lot of Anthropologie, Ann Taylor Loft, etc) all of which were in great condition. The items they accepted were ones I had seriously considered giving to Goodwill and were from Old Navy, Gap, Kohls...lower end brands. The ones that disappeared into their black hole of "not accepted" were all my high end name brands. I only sent them to Thred Up thinking I would try and sell them and make a few $$. If I had realized Thred Up did not want them, I would have kept them and continued to wear them this spring and summer as they were not in bad shape. I feel there is something highly suspicious with the Thred Up process. I wonder if their employees get first pick and also free clothing from what is sent in for resale. I will not use them ever again to sell and I have such a bad taste in my mouth, it will be a long time, if ever, before I buy anything from them either. "

2017-04-19

ABSOLUTELY HORRENDOUS. ThredUP literally steals your clothes and you get pennies back. Don't even bother.

"ThredUP should be shut down."

2017-04-18

Don't Expect Much in Return

"I sadly sent 2 bags filled to the brim, I literally stuffed the polka dot bag. I sent them a couple weeks apart. I just got notice yesterday that they had "processed" the first bag. They kept 30 items and are paying me a measley $43.00 (minus the 9.99 shipping = a grand total of $33) that is average of 1.10 for each item....REALLY?? Most were name brands & in excellent condition. I am highly suspect & very disappointed. I now wish I had NOT sent off the second bag knowing what I now know. : /
The only positive was the ease of ordering a bag and the pre-done shipping label. Now they just need to pay what items are worth!

2017-04-17

Got Ripped Off by Polka Dot Bag!

"Buyers beware! DO NOT, I repeat, DO NOT use #ThredUp for any reason. While it seems like a good deal, they are ripping people off left and right. Against my own better judgment, I agreed to send them my gently used (brand name) clothes for them to consign with the promise that they'd either give me a check or add credit to my account (I chose the latter). HOWEVER, when they received my bag but didn't get back to me for weeks, I inquired today about the status. They only then informed me that ALL of my clothes were "not usable" and therefore they would not be paying me for any of them. They then proceeded to tell me they would, however, gladly send my clothes back to me at MY expense ($10.00). So basically, they CLAIM my clothes are unusable and now they want to charge me to send them back!? I guarantee if I give it a couple weeks, I'll start seeing my clothes and shoes pop up on their website. Some of those clothes were brand spankin new with tags and everything. And I know for a fact there were at least 3 pair of brand new shoes in there as well. And of course, when I emailed them back to express my DISPLEASURE with their service, they refused to respond or talk to me. There's no telling where this "company" even is. No BBB I can report to. Nothing I can do about it. So please do not get roped in to giving this company your clothes for free. You will never see them again and you'll not get a penny. Oh, I'm sure someone somewhere out there will respond and say "I got money for my clothes!" Well, good for you. Even illegitimate businesses do some legitimate things from time to time to keep up appearances. I know I'm not the only one. I know, I only have myself to blame. I had a feeling this might happen but I did it anyway. I would much rather have given them away for free to charity, which is what I'll do next time. "

2017-04-14

Not Bad but Shop with eyes wide open

"I have shopped here many times and have been mostly pleased. I have shopped for myself and my 5 and 7 year old grandkids. Like any resale shop you have to watch for quality. To make that easy the site has a place where you can select NWT or like new condition plus other options but I only use these 2. The clothing has been spot on but often the size has been the issue. Sometimes it has been on their error size small in (children's listed as 6x but was a small 10/12) other times just as all women know a large VS does not fit like a large Faded Glory so it is manufacture sizing guide. I use the return option of site credit and try again and have not ever had an issue.

As many reviews state their clothing buying is less than ideal. I used it once was not happy. Sent a bag full of quality brand name and store brand clothing purses including 1 Coach and got 62. The bulk of that was from the Coach and it took a long time to get my money and my clothing not accepted was donated. Since I do not often have high end items such as my Coach to sell their system does not pay enough for me to put in the effort since I live in an area where I can sell to several different resale and consignment stores much easier,with quicker payment.

In a nutshell I would shop here but not sell. Sell only if you don't need money fast and have high end items but easier to go local. If you shop here remember it is second hand store be smart about your shopping and read about the item you are considering buying.

2017-04-14

My experience with ThredUP.

"I decided to give the company a try. First of all, once you sign up to do anything with ThredUP, they will harass you with emails, and I am almost positive they sold my information to a third party, because my junk emails have increased significantly.

So let's put that aside, and talk about the selling aspect. I lost some weight and decided to get rid of a bunch of brand new with tags designer jeans (12 pairs to be exact) the name brands were, Hudson, True Religion, Paige Denim, Current Elliot, Stella McCartney, AG Jeans, and Rag & Bone. If you are familiar with these brands you will know that all cost over $175 a pair. These jeans were bought less than 6 months ago so the styles were not outdated. I knew I wasn't going to make what I paid for them, but thought I would at least make a little more than I would at a yard sale. So I shipped them off.

After waiting 9 weeks for them to process my bag of jeans I finally received my email of how much they were going to pay me. Drumroll please....They paid me a grand total of $19.46. Now if that doesn't get your blood boiling enpugh. They also charged me $22.95 to send back anything they didn't accept. I chose this option because it was $9.95 for them to donate what they didn't want, and I would rather get my items back than give them to them to keep. So they took the $22.95 off my total. Which brought me to negative amount paid. How is this even legal. They are going to turn around and sell these items for 10x what they paid me, and charged me to just look at them.

Do yourself a favor and take your items to a local consignment store, sell it on eBay, or put it in a yard sale. You'll come out far more ahead. I hope this company goes out of business.

Share ThredUP's store rating

ThredUP is not a merchant member. If you're this merchant, learn more!

ThredUP is not a merchant member
ThredUP does NOT participate at ResellerRatings to monitor feedback and resolve your issues. Are you this merchant? Learn more about the Merchant Member Program!