Stores > eCollegePC

• eCollegePC eCollegePC Elite Status

Product & services pricing Rating 8.33/10 8.33/10
    Shipping & packaging: Rating 9.64/10 9.64/10

2016-01-20

Quality Components Configured Exactly How You Want Them without Paying a Fortune

"I heard about this company from a Lifehacker article that took nominations for the best "boutique" PC builders and reported on the top 5. ECollegePC came in as a dark horse at number 5. So when I started looking around I checked them out. I wouldn't have known otherwise because they don't advertise. Well, not so much as I can tell.

Not only do they eschew advertising, they got I have the smallest website design budget of any vendor out there. No flashy videos, galleries of $10,000 builds, and a 10 page PC configuration process.

I chose the Skylake CPU configurator and was taken to one page that had all the components there. With drop-down lists for CPU, motherboard, case, HSF, memory, PS, etc. if you have a pretty good idea what you want, you can spec out a PC with high end quality retail components in 10 minutes easy. No hide the ball. No two-hour specials. No mail-in rebates. If you need more info on a component that is a simple link to the manufacturer's specification page that pops up in a new dedicated window. The configurator keeps a running total of your components. All I can say is without a doubt eCollegePC has the easiest ordering process around. And they do stock major, high-end name brand components. None of these mystery stuff like "major brand" (with the single exception of video cards, which they will tell you the current one when you order) "OC certified" or proprietary cases that they will paint for you for about as much as the cost to paint an automobile. I am not kidding you. I did a lot of research and I had settled on a case. No other vendor save one besides eCollegePC was offering it. I wanted a specific power supply, high-end, spins down to 0 RPM, platinum certified – only eCollegePC offered it. For their cases if you want one that is not listed, they say just email them.

I ordered on a Monday afternoon. I had a telephone conversation with Mike about some picky stuff I wanted done. Received an email on Friday that it was ready to ship and it was on my porch the following Friday double boxed, and in good shape. No shipping fees or tax. After I got my new PC out of both boxes and got a look at it I could not see a dent, divot, or even a fingerprint. It was absolutely immaculate. I didn't have to so much as reseat a memory stick or tighten a screw. My HSF was carefully wrapped around and around with bubblewrap and the empty space in the case filled up with bubblewrap. I plugged it in and turned it on and it booted right up. All the latest drivers were installed (I checked), even for my NVMe bleeding edge M.2 Samsung Pro 512 GB SSD on a stick mounted on the motherboard. I downloaded Samsung Magician and benchmarked it — over spec. The nice thing about having a PC made to your specifications is there is absolutely no bloatware. No case stickers. No vendor specific splash screens, no nothing. Just the operating system.

I was little bit concerned whether they would do first-class wiring. They did. I mean I could not see a single out of place wire from the front side of the motherboard. They use all the grommets and tiedowns my particular case is famous for and carefully routed them all around the 2 SSD trays on the *back* of the motherboard tray. I had seen some "as built" YouTube videos by major, major review sites and my wiring was way better. Oh, and you know that big bundle of over length wires that even modular power supplies leave you with? I couldn't find it. Completely out of sight. It just was, what can I say. I do not know why they do not include some photos of their completed builds. Wiring can be tedious and time-consuming. A good place to cheap out. They should show off their craftsmanship.

Obviously, I paid more for this PC then one that "looks" similarly configured from Dell or HP. This is a very bad comparison. These mass manufactured companies use proprietary everything. When I tried to compare the price of my PC from eCollegePC, even though I had to substitute parts I didn't want to make the comparison, I saved $500-800 – in some cases not accounting for tax and shipping savings.

If you're reading this and are on the fence about eCollegePC, get off. I can imagine that you would be disappointed.

2015-12-09

"I purchased a computer from eCollegePC and am very satisfied with their service and with the computer that I received. Prices are reasonable and competitive. It's not cheap, but if you want a cheap computer go to a local big-box retailer. If you want a computer that meets your exacting needs, that is well built and fairly priced then I strongly recommend eCollegePC.
- Here's the story. I had a custom built computer that was 7 years old. When I bought that one it was a screamer but over time it got slower and slower and basically wore-out, as they do. So, I looked through all the name brands and didn't find anything that met my specific needs, too many compromises and too expensive. Then I looked for places that offered to build to spec, the one I bought from years ago went out of business. Most of these offered fancy gaming computers which just didn't meet my needs. I wanted something well build, fast, lots of storage and plain. A major consideration for me was to get a 6th gen Intel CPU, lots of RAM and a good graphics card, without lots of otherwise unnecessary bells and whistles. (It's what's inside the box that counts.) So, I went through eCollegePC's website using their custom builder to put together a computer. (I did lots of research on the side to make sure I understood all the options offered.) They seem to offer options that they know are good quality and will work together as a system. Once I had what I thought I wanted I still had a few questions. So I contacted them and Mike answered my questions right away. I ended up purchasing and have been using the computer now for a few weeks. (I placed my order Nov 16 and received the computer Nov 24.) It is a great machine, no problems at all. I am very satisfied with the product and the service I received. I would buy from them again, no doubt about it.

This review was modified by MHWallace on December 09 2015 05:33:59 PM

2015-11-23

"Received my Custom built AMD system with Thermaltake MK-1 case from eCollegePC, set it up and it has been the best PC I have ever had!!! The customer service was excellent and what I really like is that Mike took the time to talk to me about the PC I wanted and also met my budget. Overall great experience. I definitely will be purchasing from these guys again.

Levord Adams
Alabama

This review was modified by leeadams on November 23 2015 07:54:15 AM

2015-11-06

"I've had my machine over a month now and its been a great experience. From the beginning they were able accommodate my purchase requirements of using two credit cards to split the payments online, having the chipset and processor I wanted (Skylake i7 6700k) when it seemed many places were out of them due to the shortage at the time. I was able to get all the parts I wanted at a great price compared to other competing sites. The assembly of everything is clean and wired professionally. It was a smooth and easy transaction with great communication with their staff. My machine came quickly with shipping which is great because I was excited to get out of my 8 year old machine. I have only one small issue so far which was a case flaw (Corsair Carbide 500R) where the main side panel isn't quite flush to the chassis and has about a 1/4" gap, I still am able to open the case which is a good thing; its something that isn't a big deal to me its not too noticeable and as long as the core components are functional and doing their job happy. I would definitely consider purchasing from them again."

2015-10-13

"Just received my 6700k super build from these guys and it is the most amazing system. They accommodated all requests I had for swapping parts that weren't listed and I received a stunning super powered beast that is just a joy to even look at when it isn't in use. Mike quickly answered any questions I had and when one of my fans didn't spin, he sent me a new one to replace it immediately no questions asked and it worked like a charm. Can't wait to order from them again. Why can't I give them 10 stars? If I had ordered from another boutique builder it would have cost 30% more and their customer service would not even come close to ecollegepc!"

2015-09-06

"I ordered a Skylake 6700 pc in August, right smack in the middle of the "great 6700" drought of 2015.
Mike kept me up to date on my status and let me know when they expected the new chips in the entire time I was waiting, I did not "need" a new machine ( I bought one in march this year that was working A + however...new toys) so the extra wait time was no issue for me.

I enjoyed the ease of use and wide selection of options on the site as I went through and figured out my "must haves" vs my "Wants".

When they were building my machine Mike took a moment to let me know that they were going to pack the video card in wrap to protect it during transport and I will need to remove it once I get it. (980ti is a beast of a card)
I appreciated them doing this as I have seen/heard horror stories of other "mail order" computers being bounced around so much that the cards get undone inside and create havoc when shipped.

After a wait my computer arrived to me in a simple brown box via FedEx.
My heart stopped as I saw the FedEx guy "rolling" the box up my stairs to deliver it...not a good site when you know what is in it.
Upon Taking delivery I saw a large dent/gash in the outer box and I immediately took pictures to show I did not do this , shipping did.
Opening the outer box I saw that the inner box had a smaller damage mark on it similar to the outer...I was almost panicked now however I went on hoping for the best.
I was rewarded when I saw that my lovely new machine was safe and snug inside the 2nd box, neatly wrapped in foam and plastic wrap, undamaged.

WHEW
Mike and crew were great the entire time I dealt with them building this machine.
The fit and finish of this machine is perfect and well beyond anything I could do on my own..thus why they are getting my business again once we need a new machine...a long long time from now.

You really can't beat these folks all things considered.

2015-09-01

"These guys are pretty wild. Building a PC ain't cheap, and having one built for you has traditionally been far less cheap than that, but eCollegePC does it while only increasing the cost by a small fraction, and let's be honest, a 3-year parts and labor warranty can be invaluable sometimes. Not only that, but in this day and age where customer service is about the worst it's been at since the dark ages, these guys actually get back to you if you have a question - and fast. I had asked about how they deal with Nvidia's bundled game deals (which they get you, by the way), on a Saturday and they got back to me Sunday. When the package didn't come with the game's code coupon, I shot them an email about at and got a response /within five minutes/. I can't emphasize enough how impressive that is to me, even if I'm not dealing with a company the size of Microsoft here. Also pretty fast shipping, though I'm fairly lucky in that they ship out of the midwest (where I happen to live). Rig worked right out of the box and was well constructed, good wire placement and most of the software components had been updated (minus the graphics card, easy fix). Cannot recommend enough so far."

2015-08-01

"Was my first custom build experience. I essentially picked out the components that I was going to do a custom build with then decided to search for companies that will do it for you. eCollegePC was a top ranked company, and given their reviews, I decided why not.. It was about 15% on top of what I could have done the computer for from scratch, but the reviews and 3 year warranty we're attractive. Received my PC with the wrong ssd installed, but Mike was quick to respond and make it right. Not taking a star away for that, given the support I received. For less than 1k this PC is by far the fastest I have ever used! Thanks!"

2015-07-31

"I could not be happier with these guys. They are fast, they communicate and are real, honest, smart people. I love my PC and after 6 months it wouldn't boot up. I exchanged a few emails with eCollegePC support and rather than assuming I had absolutely no idea what a computer was the support team treated me with respect, was fast, and diagnosed the problem. I had to send the PC in for a warranty fix and GOT IT BACK BEFORE I EVEN THOUGHT IT WOULD ARRIVE AT THEIR SHOP.

I'm completely blown away by these guys and plan to shop here for a long time.

2015-07-03

"I had looked up computer companies that built computers. eCollegePC was number 5 on the list, but scored very high marks for customer service. I decided to research the 5 companies listed and chose eCollegePC to build our computers. I was a little leary about spending the money for 2 gaming computers based on soley on reviews. I WAS NOT DISAPPOINTED! I had a simple question regarding the order and emailed customer service. Within 30 minutes Mike called my personally to answer my question. I was amazed. I was even more pleased when the order arrived exactly as described. I finally got to play on the new computer and I was blown away by its capability. I would definately order again from eCollegePC and recommend giving them a chance to make you happy with your new computers. Price was very reasonable and customer service was through the room!
I couldn't be happier!

Ray DeBacker
Cathlamet, Washington

2015-05-31

"I don’t do reviews, I just don’t. But this is a special case – in fact, I’m going to copy and save this one and post it on other forums. Anyone who is on a limited budget, or doesn’t have a lot of computer savvy, or has a problem comprehending someone who speaks with a heavy accent will understand why I made an exception in this case. Especially if they spent a week trying get a little preliminary info from “Customer Support” at HP, Dell, etc.
If I wanted a custom-built PC and my name was Buffet, I’d probably buy IBM or Cray and tell them I wanted to be able to do anything, anywhere, anytime. Same thing if my name was Gates – I couldn’t use my own company because I wouldn’t want to risk a discrimination lawsuit by hiring a translator so I could actually understand my Customer Support Staff.
If I were just run-of-the-mill wealthy, I’d probably go to one of those high-end (apt) Custom Builder Boutiques – the ones who would feel soiled and insulted if they were ever asked to build a PC for under 10K.
Either way, ecollegepc would have never been on my radar – and I’d have missed the most pleasant and painless experiences in my 15 years of online shopping.
When you call them on the phone, they take your number and ACTUALLY CALL YOU BACK – usually within 5 minutes…..even if you’re just looking for info about their products and policies. When you contact them via e-mail, with several questions at once, they usually respond within a couple of hours, and always within the same day – unless you wait until after business hours, then it might be the first thing next day. And you can talk to the same knowledgeable person each time you contact them, no matter which way you do it.
You can buy a ready-to-ship PC from their Value Series for around $450, and if you want, customize it almost any way you choose. Or choose one of their specialized lines and customize that. They have an impressive selection of options, and if you ask for something you THINK you want, but don’t need, they’ll tell you. I’m sure they’d sell you whatever you insisted on, as long as there were no compatability issues, but they don’t go out of their way to sell you stuff you don’t need.
And there’s a free 3 year warranty on parts and labor, and free lifetime support.
I had a problem with my PC that I caused by my own stupidity, and they said that I could ship it back at their expense, or they would try to tell me how to fix it myself. They told me, and I fixed it.
I couldn’t be happier with the PC, or the whole process from start to finish.

2015-04-21

"I usually build my own PC's because big name builders like Origin/Xidax/Falcon cost SO, SO much more money. With eCollegePC the cost was just a tad more than building it myself, but I got the benefit of a 3 year warranty, beautiful cable management, and free shipping. I had a strange problem with my power supply (it was a quality brand PSU, just this unit was funky) where the computer wouldn't turn back on after a shut off unless I waited a minute or so. Mike sent me a new PSU asap and I had it installed in less than 3 minutes. Fixed the problem. If they keep their prices reasonable and build quality good I might never make my own again."

2015-03-30

"Excellent custom computer build and fairly priced, Courteous, expert advice; timely communication/follow-up; and stellar customer service after the sale. Highly recommended."

2015-03-28

"I just got my new machine custom built from eCollegePC and have to say they have some of the best customer service I've had with any company I've dealt with online. Response time is not only amazing they know what they'd talking about (thanks to Mike in particular). Keep up the good work and thanks for a killer gaming machine!"

2015-03-19

"I was looking for four new work stations for a busy photographic studio. We needed high spec PC's without gaming graphics capability. Mike worked with us to come up with a suitable specification and quoted a very fair price. After ordering, the PC's were built, shipped and installed without incident. Overall - very satisfied and would highly recommend this company to anyone looking for custom built PC's."

Share eCollegePC's store rating

eCollegePC is a Merchant Member! Learn more

eCollegePC is a merchant member
eCollegePC participates as a Merchant Member, monitors feedback, and resolves issues. This merchant is also Elite. See all 2,633 merchant members.