Stores > ThredUP

Chance of future purchase: Rating 1.79/10 1.79/10
    Shipping & packaging: Rating 2.31/10 2.31/10
    Customer service: Rating 2.66/10 2.66/10
    Return/Replacement policy: Rating 2.20/10 2.20/10
Voice your opinion! Review ThredUP by clicking a star below.
2017-09-11

Don't do it, waste of effort.

"Horrible. I have done this type of thing before with decent results. I bought an item from here so thought I would try the sales side. I carefully prepped items and figured I would miss a couple of things just human error. I ran the estimate on their website to see if it would be worth it & estimated about $30 or so. I got less than $9. All my WH|BM jeans were rejected for fading. $90 jeans, distressed style, rejected for fading...really? Some items popped into consignment so they don't have to pay me. Some rejected as "surplus". 14 items sold a few still sitting in "consignment" (a t-shirt sold for $8, I got .40 for it). Considering the time to wash, prep, pack and ship. I should have just taken the tax write off, at least it would be helpful. Don't waste your effort, it's a rip off. Also, there were over a month late processing the bag so they had it over 2 months before I even heard from them. When I contacted them to find out what happened to all my items I was dismissed by the CS agent. He later responded and claimed a family emergency after I dinged the service, but he made no mention of that when he dismissed me from the CS chat. "

2017-09-04

wish i could give a zero as this is a company of thieves.

"pennies given on items resold for over 1000 times a profit. they marker themselves as humanitarians; an insult to humanity! do not be scammed.

2017-08-31

Their making a fortune!

"I sent in 22 items, several with tags still on them, they paid out $8.50. That's an average of $.39 per item. They sold the items for $86. I could make more money selling them in my front yard! I would feel better just donating the stuff rather than lining their pockets.

2017-08-30

DO NOT SELL TO Thred Up!

"Thred Up is a total scam for sellers. DO NOT sell to them. On they buy side, it is fine but you will get PENNIES on the dollar for selling, even NEW with tags. I think it is unethical and I don't trust them. Check out the negative reviews ALL OVER the internet. It is a terrible business model."

2017-08-30

Oh, oh that smell.

"I've received two orders and I'm very happy with the clothes BUT they smell. Anyone else have this problem? They smell like moth balls is the best description I can come up with. I laundered and they still reek. When I complained they said to wash everything in vinegar and baking soda. Okay, I'm going to try that but these weren't cheap, and if they still smell then that's it for me. Even after laundering they make my closet smell."

2017-08-29

Not worth it

"I've tried Thredup twice. Only because I had a store credit when I returned items that were not as described. Honestly, I can do better in local thrift shops if I want to spend the time. My biggest beef though is the shipping time. We pay for shipping, it's coming from 1 state away and it takes over a week for the items to arrive. This just makes no sense. Don't waste your time."

2017-08-26

Seller, not worth it.

"If you're like me and only send great items in mint condition, you will be disappointed. I sent them a new Herschel Little America backpack and it wasn’t accepted. Really? I just took a look at the backpacks listed on their website. They're selling a POLYESTER Puma “backpack” for $28.00, but my perfect, rarely worn, high quality backpack from a highly popular brand, right round back to school time wasn’t going to sell? I’m honestly baffled.
Also a Madewell Denim jacket that sells for $120 that I’ve probably worn twice. A pair of Madewell jeans. All in mint condition. Also not accepted. And that is only two of the items that weren’t accepted that made me feel like I was totally ripped off. The first bag I sent them, I felt it was a little weird that some of the items weren't accepted. I’m very picky about the things I buy and sell. Everything I sent is in mint condition and from great brands. But I didn’t document any items the first time around, so I thought I wss mistaken and decided to try again. The second time around... I have to say I am deeply disappointed.
Besides, for the 9 items they accepted (including a brand new, tags attached Zara Blouse, new Hunter rain Boots, a Madewell Leather Tote, a North Face 3-in-1 Winter Jacket that alone is worth $300, a Patagonia Coat) all in amazing condition, the Ufpront Payout was $69.85. Come on. Honestly, I don’t feel like this is a good deal for sellers. For buyers, probably. But as a seller I feel ripped off.

2017-08-21

PLEASANTLY PLEASED.....

"I have purchased about 80 pieces of clothes (plus size) within the past couple months. I only returned 3 items as they ran small for their size (2 of the items were from the same designer). I have ordered blazers, cardigans, dresses, blouses and a pair of pants. All are very stylish and from name brand designers and the items are in great shape. There return process is very easy but you will wait a couple weeks for your credit to show up in your account. They also have a short return period (about 14 days). I am in love with ThredUP! "

2017-08-14

Two positive purchases so far

"I learned how to eliminate things I wasn't interested in (for example, gently used--I'd rather have like new or new with tags). I love the way the site is set up to show me only what I want and can afford. On my last purchase, I put the wrong shipping address. I realized the error within just a few minutes, and I dashed an email off to customer support. It is really difficult for them to get an address changed like that because of the way their company is set up, but they managed to get it done. I will definitely be shopping here a lot. "

2017-08-12

Refused to even let me browse without a Facebook account

"I saw an ad for the site. Tried to check the site. Was not allowed to view without an account. Fine. But any time I created an email + password account it told me my password was wrong or I needed to verify who I was... By giving them access to my Facebook or Amazon info. No thank you. Legit stores don't need scams. "

2017-08-10

Frustrated buyer

"Items I purchased were represented accurately but I didn't like them- their return policy, while transparent, is pretty lame. Stuck with credit unless I wanted to pay return shipping. Now I'm stuck with credit and I'm nervous to purchase anything because if I don't like it, I'm in the same situation. Definitely not "risk free." I responded to an email asking about my thoughts, and did not receive a reply.
THEN tried to use my credit on the App, and they charged me more than I authorized payment for me. It was fixed, but for that one hour I was pretty upset that I felt like they stole money from me. Doesn't help that I already don't care for them.
A lot of their items are way overpriced- paying more than if you bought new from the retailer (specifically I have noticed their Carters brand baby items are priced way more than in stores). Makes me wonder what else they are marking up. Also, a lot of items aren't properly described (i.e. Sizes are not right or clear).

2017-08-09

Horrendous. NEVER sell with ThredUp!

"While I blame myself to some extent for not reading the fine (buried) print about how much they pay, it's ludicrously low. Lower than I'd imagined anyone would try to get away with. And interestingly, the two nicest items I sent them (which would have fetched a higher price and thus would have given me a bigger percentage), they didn't accept at all. They only took the items that allowed them to give me ten percent. Shockingly, I see they were opening a brick-and-mortar store at around that exact time. Doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out where my designer items were "donated." Take your used items ANYWHERE but here!"

2017-08-08

Items went missing

"Buying on thread up is fine. that's what the 1 star is for. I sent them several bags and their pricing model keeps changing as do their prices. I sent them unused bags (Vince Camuto, A Banana Republic Ashbury and Michael Kors). The tags were attached on ALL of them. They disappeared. I emailed them and the woman said they were donated. I DONT believe that for one second. Then I would send them really good clothes (juicy, banana republic, etc) and I sent like 20 pieces and got paid 3.78. When i looked at what they were selling them for I should have gotten at least 30 or 40 dollars. The juicy pants had the tag on them and they were $98 alone. I will not send any more bags to them. I'll bring my stuff to a local place like crossroads trading or buffalo exchange. I will also be reporting them to the BBB because i feel my stuff was stolen. There is no accountability nor any rhyme nor reason how they price things. I had a coach bag they priced at 11.99 when it was 200 retail, and the same bag was on the site from another seller for 134.99. What a scheister company. I want my $400 dollars worth of brand new bags back that they said they "donated". I dont understand how this place gets away with this. And i had to wait 50 days for them to process my bag for the $3.78 i got PLUS i had to pay uber 8 bucks so i could take my bags to the PO. So i lost money!! unbelievable. Im glad i am not alone with these experiences. I am definitely filing a complaint with the state."

2017-08-08

Bad business model

"The idea is good. The marketing is good. The boxes are pretty and the process is well thought-out. I first tried ThredUp because of the commercials advertising brands I like for rock-bottom prices. The ease of shopping online for brands I know is great. I can easily judge whether or not I think an Ann Taylor / Banana Republic / WHBM piece is worth what they are charging and I know what size I wear in those brands. But, I struggle to find those deals. Prices on ThredUp are consistently as expensive or more expensive than I could find in an outlet or during a sale, and then I could try the pieces on and I would be getting new items. I have ordered several items from ThredUp that I was very excited about only to find out that they were actually petite, rather than regular and falsely advertised. Then there is a charge or credit for the return when ThredUp had mismarked and mismarketed the size. Why should that be my fault? Each item was clearly marked as petite inside the tag and sold as regular. Each time I made a return, I emphasized that petite items are cut differently. I can read the length and chest size to understand the basic measurements but if the curve of the hips or the belt/sash are going to be several inches too high, the overall dimensions are moot. When the size has been mismarked, there should be a full refund and shipping costs covered. This doesn't happen and there is no good forum for fighting this (which I shouldn't have to do).

I have also received some items that were in very bad condition and sold as good with a minor problem. Eg.- I purchased a pair of boots with fake leather peeling off and missing in places. The condition was listed as good with a minor scratch. Who determined that peeling / missing fabric was good condition? This was not visible at all in the picture. I am willing to forgive minor snags, etc for used clothing at used clothing prices. But at the prices ThredUp charges, I should be getting brand-new sale clothes.

The company could do several things differently to charge consumers less and still receive a great profit. Each piece I buy has a silly ThredUp tag tied around the inside clothing tag. It's made on recycled paper and has a silly saying or tells me where it was packed with love. Recycled paper is great- if you have to use paper. Why put a tag on at all? Save the paper, spend less money, use less paper. Save the person packing the box time and the money it costs to buy this silly little tags.

Sending clean-up bags to ThredUp takes FOREVER. By the time the pieces are processed, they are out of season. And I cannot figure out the algorithm used to determine a price or what will sell. Then I see three or four of the same item. Local shops can offer much better payout. I tried this for convenience. I thought I could sell a few things with minimal effort and get some credits to buy new. The payouts are subpar for the industry and I have had to return so many items, the credits aren't worth it.

I would recommend ThredUp providing better data on items being sold. Show a picture of the inside tag. Then consumers know they are getting what they think they are buying. I can see that the inside says "Long and Lean" rather than the standard options of boot cut/ straight cut, etc. I can see if there is a 'P' or 'petite' next to the size. Then I can't complain about mismarked sizes. Cut out the tags that don't serve any purpose. Offer a forum to ask questions about pieces. You'll get better sales! And, institute some basic QA testing before selling items.

2017-08-07

Absolute worst customer service and a total ripoff

"I started shopping with Thredup over a year ago and have had so many bad experiences that I'm done. On 5 separate occasions now, I've ordered things that were described "like new" with no damage, but then they show up with very obvious stains, or large holes in them where the seam has come apart, or the matching belt that's supposed to come with the item (and was pictured with it on the site) is missing. Each time, I contacted customer service and nothing was resolved. They are very rude and not helpful in the slightest.

I also sent a bag of clothes to them, and like many other people have mentioned, they only paid a tiny fraction of what they ended up selling my clothes for. I sent in high-end items, many of which still had tags on, and the bag was packed completely full. They gave me about $18. I could have easily made over $100 by going to the local consignment shop. Seriously, don't waste your time or your money. They're a total joke.

Share ThredUP's store rating

ThredUP is not a merchant member. If you're this merchant, learn more!

ThredUP is not a merchant member
ThredUP does NOT participate at ResellerRatings to monitor feedback and resolve your issues. Are you this merchant? Learn more about the Merchant Member Program!